If you're reading this, chances are you're a magical fairy-like unicorn mama like the rest of us. What I mean is, our kiddos may have snotty noses, but not us, right? WRONG! The cruelest snippet of motherhood is that MOMS GET SICK, TOO. Why is this even allowed? How is this possible? What can be done to fix this?!
Unfortunately, kids are walking Petri dishes and between the snacks, the diapers, the bottles, the stroller handles, the boogers, the preschool faucets... you get the idea. The germ exposure literally knows no bounds. Between all of those icky things, people are bound to get sick every now and then.
Luckily, here at FIT4MOM Chapel Hill, we've got an incredible village of mamas who are always game to help a fellow mama-in-need. Here are their best tips for dealing with illness when it hits YOUR home.
- Elderberry syrup could help to stave off cold-like symptoms
- Stay hydrated!!
- Do your very best to get adequate sleep
- Ask for and accept all forms of help (such as meal drop-offs or grocery runs)
- Never underestimate the power of a Neti Pot (or Flonase)
- If you're the sick one, and someone offers to watch your kiddos so that you can rest, TAKE THEM UP ON IT!
- Let go of the guilt around allowing your kiddos to watch too much TV, so that you can get some rest
- Vitamin C in whatever form you like
- Warm, broth-based soups
- Zinc lozenges
- Change your pillowcase, toothbrush, hand towels, etc when you feel like you're on the up and up
- I'll say it again for the people in the back... ASK FOR HELP!!
Dealing with illness on top of normal mom life (meaning #allthethings) can be incredibly overwhelming, so reach out to your village whenever you can. We're here for you, mama!
Oh, and don't forget to wash your hands! ;)